Sunday, October 18, 2009

Double Chocolate Orange Cookies

Right now, I am slacking off from studying immunology - there is only so much of B-cell gene rearrangement, MHC codominant expression, and dendritic cell antigen cross-presentation that I can take.

My exam is at 10:30 tomorrow morning; usually I work with the campus's kestrel colony from 7:30 to 9:30, but I begged off work tomorrow morning so I wouldn't be a walking zombie for my exam. A very kind coworker offered to fill in for me, so I baked a batch of cookies to thank her. Very tasty cookies.

The recipe is courtesy of Mirj over at Recipezaar.

These make good Christmas cookies.

You will need:
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon grated orange rind (zest from a large navel orange)
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
sugar to coat

Preheat oven to 350C. In a large bowl, mix sugar, butter, egg, and orange zest. Stir in flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.

It can take a while to incorporate all the flour in, but trust me, it will go. I recruited Davis to help mix because my biceps curled up and cried after about 30 seconds.

Form balls about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and roll them around in extra sugar. Press down slightly to flatten on baking tray. Bake for ~10-15 minutes until they form a dent when poked. Your cookies will be crunchy on the outside because of the sugar, but soft with orangey goodness on the inside.



I'm going to go eat one right now. And then - immunology.

6 comments:

  1. I made cookies over the weekend too but followed a 'lite' chocolate chip cookie recipe. Thus they didn't flatten well, like yours did. They look good. Hope they tasted good too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!! Copied down the recipe, will have to try these at Christmas. Always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate!!! *wipes drool* Chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaAARRGGHHHH !!!!

    I gotta have one of those !!!

    Hi :-)

    Kind regards,

    José

    ReplyDelete

... what are you thinking?