Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday afternoon book cave

I love used bookstores, and I love Booktown in particular - it's everything a used bookstore should be. Overflowing shelves, dark basements, creaking chairs and two elderly men taking care of it all...



Unfortunately, they're closing at the end of the month, but in the meantime all their books are 50% off... which was like a siren's song to me, Davis, and my mom. We all headed down there today and came home with an embarrassing amount of books.

It's a familial thing, I think, possibly genetic... my grandfather had to custom-build his own bookshelves in order to accommodate his enormous collection, which my mother inherited to add to her considerable stock when my grandfather passed away last year. Davis's family must have the same genes... I'm a little worried for our future children, I think their collection will probably rival the national library.

Well, there are worse addictions.

7 comments:

  1. You can't have too many books :)

    Sounds like you are having a wonderful weekend, :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally in love with that place! and it's awesome to have the entire family love and collect books together! You could have a bookshelf on every wall, take any off the rack and read it anytime anywhere! That's like a dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I could spend hours in them. My fave bookstore is Powell's in Portland... I could literally spend days in there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love bookstores. the only one within a 20 mile radius of my home is a small used bookstore i just discovered. i am SO glad i found it. i just feel better knowing one is close by. :)

    T is right: you can never have too many books. now someone please explain that to my hubbers. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a lot of people read books online and on those Reader thingy's, but to me there is nothing better than holding a book and flipping through the pages. I literally have hundreds of books, I kid you not! I organize them by my level of enjoyment, lol :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps - i have something for you on my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. my goodness.. this is awesome! I agree, you can't have too many books. They are just treasures full of wonder, imagination, creativity, and knowledge!

    Leia's Delights

    ReplyDelete

... what are you thinking?