Sunday, April 3, 2011

Finals

I really intended to follow up on my last post and share some recipes and photos from my sheep cupcakes and moo shu pork dinner, which was pretty epic. Unfortunately, that 3-week morass known as final exams has stealthily crept up on me, and I find myself surrounded (not literally) by bones, cows, cells, blood, chickens, how to greet clients, muscles, nerves, hormones, molecules, organs, pigs, x-rays, lung fields, etc., etc.

So it might be a couple of weeks until I post anything interesting here... unless you find Crayola-assisted anatomy diagrams to be interesting (I never thought Crayola and a professional program would be such a great combination).

See you on the other side!


Features of the pelvis:

Major nerves supplying the hind limb:


Blood supply to the fore limb:

Blood supply to the hind limb:

Landmarks of the femur:

The guttural pouch, one of many particularities to horses, is a chamber just below the ears that contains a variety of important nerves, arteries, and other structures. The guttural pouch is a modification of our Eustachian tube - the connection between middle ear and throat. Both humans and horses are susceptible to infection in this area, but because there are so many critical structures in the horse's guttural pouch, infections can be more life-threatening.


The larynx and associated hyoid bones. The larynx is made up of three important cartilages: the thyroid cartilage which is shield-shaped, the arytenoids that nestle within the thyroid cartilage, and the ring-shaped cricoid cartilage. The larynx is important for vocal production - a series of muscles that interconnect the three cartilages are responsible for opening and closing the vocal folds to change the quality of sound.

9 comments:

  1. so that's where the sciatic nerve runs! i squished mine during pregnancy -- yowch!

    good luck with exams. see you on the other side of things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I found your blog while I was googling guttural pouches.... I'm in Phase 1 this year. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. why you didnt wrire names of muscles relevent to guttural pouches.whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey i glad i found ur blog i m in fst year of veterinary n i love the anat pics......

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes guttural pouch picture! thank you. Equine exam in 4 days! (Fellow Canadian studying vet in Edinburgh woo!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha! were all mad for the guttural pouch it seems! Found your blog looking it up as well. Absolutely brilliant! Just added your blog to my favourites, great pictures! 3rd year vet in Dublin, Ireland. Congrats! with Ireland and Scotland, you've gone intercontinental!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahaha! were all mad for the guttural pouch it seems! Found your blog looking it up as well. Absolutely brilliant! Just added your blog to my favourites, great pictures! 3rd year vet in Dublin, Ireland. Congrats! with Ireland and Scotland, you've gone intercontinental!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hilarious and amazing! I'm glad my silly Crayola drawings were able to help a couple people out. :) Although, as an unsolicited study tip, I have to say that MAKING the pictures helped me remember more than anything else, and I've continued doing this for second-year pathology, theriogenology, anesthesiology, etc!

    Good luck to everyone on your exams!!

    ReplyDelete

... what are you thinking?